25th door has Hercules and the Captive Women? Huh, this thing must be defective.
Behind the 24th door is ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, the review for which contains strong language.
Twenty-Third Door and we get A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version) #retroflixadventcalendar
Door 22 has The 10 best things about A Christmas Story #retroflixadventcalendar http://retroflix.wordpress.com/2009/12/25/10-best-things-about-a-christmas-story/
Every time I see a list of worst movies, like say this one for VEWPRF movies, all I can think is “You haven’t seen many movies, have you?”
Because let me tell you, all of those movies are GOLD! PURE F’n GOLD! Compared to some of the dreck I’ve been prepared to watch over the years, those movies they mentioned are high points of excellence. I mean all five of those are at least actual movies.
I notice, for example that they mention “Silent Night, Deadly Night” but not “Silent Night, Deadly Night II“, which is a far, FAR worse movie. In fact, it’s so bad that SNDN2 is barely a movie, more a collection of scenes barely connected by stock footage. Jingle All The Way might be a stupid movie, but it has a plot, a protagonist, an antagonist, and holds to a three act structure. And where the hell is Christmas Evil? Or the 1959 Mexican Santa Claus?
Herein lies the problem. I can name five movies, off the top of my head, that make Santa Claus Conquers the Martians seem like Citizen Kane. In that it makes it seem like a not-very-good movie that lots of people know about and most people haven’t seen. This all touches upon my old post “You think that movie is bad?” from a while ago. Why even bother going into worst movie territory? No matter how bad your list, someone can trump the supposed worst with something really bad. It just makes the writer look like they don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. And if you do know what the hell you’re talking about, what exactly is the prize? I mean… I’ve watched Silent Night, Deadly Night II, and believe me there is no prize. No one wins when you watch that thing.
We have arrived at the twenty-first door, which contains The Rugrats Chanukah Special #retroflixadventcalendar
1. Made some Rice Crispy Treats yesterday from my own marshmallows. They are better than yours, because of the home made marshmallowness.
2. Going to buy some agar and see how vegan marshmallows turn out. I want to make sure that vegans can have marshmallows too. The Internet claims that agar can be swapped for powdered gelatine on a one-to-one ratio. The only thing that gets me is WOW(!) agar is waaaay more expensive than gelatin. Not going to buy it today, that’s for damn sure.
3. You can use pomegranate juice instead of water when you make marshmallows. I assume cranberry, grape, apple, and prune juice would also work.
4. If you boil too much liquid off your syrup, you can add some back during the mixing process, but this is dangerous as you’d need to know exactly what the mixture should look like while mixing or you could over do it. I actually under did it, so that batch was still kind of stiff, but as Syd is just going to put them in hot cocoa, it doesn’t really matter. You can’t add sugar if you didn’t boil enough, you get gritty mallows. Perhaps if I try with powdered next time…
5. It still feels like I’ve performed a magic trick every time I pull one of these marshmallow out and munch one. I did this, I made this thing, I can produce candy! I can add pomegranate juice to the mix and feel like some sort of culinary god, because no one I know can even conceive of the idea of making a marshmallow in their own kitchen. At least know one I know IRL, some of you internet people probably know about it.